03 April, 2017

shellshocked

i walk along the bayou on an almost daily basis and each time i go, i see turtles. usually they are mere panicked splashes in the murky water as i approach, but on several occasions i have had them cross my path: big and little; with tail and without; plain and patterned; skittish or resigned.

this morning's turtle was a big'un, sitting there in the grass, looking up at me in a decidedly pissed off manner:




i squatted for a while and looked it in the eye (i ain't gonna take no shit from no turtle!) and eventually decided to see what the hell was up - i.e. why was it just sitting there and looking at me instead of a. shutting itself up in its handy carrying case or b. fucking off.

i told mr. monkey all about my adventure just now:

moi: i saw the turtle today. i think it was laying eggs.

mr. monkey: how do you know?

moi: i lifted it up and it had its butt in a slimy hole.

mr. m: well, there you go. you just witnessed the miracle of birth!


i sure have. and it was just as heavy on mucus as i expected it to be.

5 comments:

Geneviève Goggin said...

Well that's pretty cool!

Geneviève Goggin said...

And the word bayou is cool too. My family used to call my sister bayou after we took a trip down south. To this day I have no idea why they called her that.

Brad Fischer said...

Mmmm...mucus.


(btw: I just noticed your tag line says "comas")


polish chick said...

g - yeah, strange nickname. i don't even know if these *are* actually bayous: they are long green lush storm water management ditches but that doesn't sound nice, plus we're in the south, so to me they're bayous.

brad - yeah, fuck. all that time and i never noticed! still, twas time to change it. thanks!

Joan MacRae said...

I noticed the "comas" but thought it suited as well! Meant to tell you.